[Dailydrool] On the subject of Bloat

basetsavr5 at aol.com basetsavr5 at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 18:21:08 PDT 2012

Dale I have to say I think Snoopy was under a very lucky star-it sure sounds to me like he was doing his best to bloat.  Since both times it seems he had been playing hard, this does cross my mind that perhaps he is not gone thru a good "cool down" period before and after he eats. Also, maybe he needs a change in food--there are many things that come into play on this. I also recommend to you and anyone that has a basset, that they keep liquid symethicone on hand. I have a bottle of childrens liquid gas drops in every room. I also have 2 tubes of Carbo Vegetable pellets on hand. They are also very good in this type of situation. I have had 2 bassets bloat, Old Bob made it, Elder Clara did not. Sister Daisy tried her best after all her surgery last fall and I grabbed that bottle and dumped the whole thing in there, it works much faster than gas-x.  When you think of how a gas-x has to kind of melt down in the tummy, that is time, and with bloat, that is something you do not have.
Sister Daisy gets 2 gas-x with every meal and everyone here rests before and after a meal. I just wont take a chance. Snoopy being a pound hound has a unknown past, but his almost bloating again is telling a story here.
I know I must sound like a nutcase on this, but the night Clara bloated was the worst night in my life. She was in massive screaming pain, I drove like a wild womanto get her help. At the ER they stuck needles into her belly to try and relieve the gas, she was screaming so bad the whole ER was cringing. Bloat to me is right up there with "hit by a car"--it is horribly painful and you feel helpless if it turns to full torsion twist.
I would take a close look and compare both times this happened to Snoopy and make some changes--but get some liquid gas drops for the first aid kit. Good luck and please let us know Dale.

Tomorrow would of been Elder Claras Gotch Day. How I wish bloat wouldn't of took her away from me.

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,
Elder Sister Daisy, Brudder Jake
 Sister Bessie, The Younger