[Dailydrool] bloat

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 19:08:49 PDT 2012

     Another homeopathic remedy for bloat other then carbo veg 30C is pulsatilla 30C both are common remedies and available at most health food stores.  If you are having multiple dogs bloat in your house look very closely at your food.  It is imperative that the food is corn, soy, and wheat free--all of these ingredients have been linked to bloat as well as raised feeders which allow the dog to gulp air while eating.  Eating off the floor is the natural posture and they don't ingest as much air as they do from raised feeders.
    Probably a higher protein diet and less grain and carbohydrates would be the way to go with a dog that has bloated in the past.  I had an 8 year old Newf bloat once.  I treated him with carbo veg and the acupressure point.  He deflated and passed an amazing amount of gas almost immediately.  He had been walking around the house gagging with his back all hunched up like a turtle and his belly tight as a drum.  I immediately switched him to a corn free, soy free, wheat free food that was 33 % protein and 20% fat--a performance food and he never bloated again.  He also was not fat and lived to be 12 years old which is quite old for a Newf.  My vet told me I really dodged a bullet.
    I am positive that bloat has a hereditary component.  Many Newf breeders I know have traced it to specific lines and even specific dogs.  I am not sure if age is a factor or not but it might be.  But it is also not uncommon for dogs that have had a trauma--hit by a car, post-op, post stroke--to bloat.  At the Breeders' Symposium at U of F, the lecturing vet showed us photos (ironically) of bassets that had bloated post-op at the clinic.  Just the trauma of having surgery and being away from their owners had induced it.  Scary.
Marie Campbell
Man Plans ~ God Laughs