[Dailydrool] Dailydrool] Vacs and glaucoma and pressures

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 15:05:51 PST 2012

Anitra,
    How old is Santana and is he living a high risk life style?  Dog parks? Being shown? Frequently exposed to outside the house, unknown dogs?  I would not repeatedly vaccinate an elderly dog.  It is bad for their immunity and had been linked to many health issues.
    So you know the veterinary head of infectious disease at the University of Florida is Dr. Cinda Crawford.  She told us at the annual breeders symposium that Merial, Fort Dodge (vaccines I would never use or let a vet use on my pets), and Intervet all did 7 year studies on vaccines and found that dogs' annual vaccine --the set given at a year old after the puppies shots are properly administers until 16 weeks of age--were lasting more then 7 years.  Constant annual re vaccination is not necessary and probably not advisable.  This from the head of infectious disease.  Now, if you are showing  your dogs and they are engaging in health risk outings, I might consider annual vaccination until 4 or 5 years of age but I would not continue to expose an elderly dog to those conditions or annually re vaccinate after 5 years of age--every two years maybe and not at all after 8 or 9 years of age.  It is too much.  Over vaccination has been linked
 to cancer and auto immune disease.
    The breeder I got my Newfs from has been in Newfs for 42 years and finished 68 champions.  She had the top Newf stud in Canada.  She never vaccinates after 5 years of age--ever.  I have followed  her protocol for 17 years with out no complaints.
    You can run titers if your vet does that to see if you dog is still actively immune to the 5 in 1 diseases.  As for Lepto, I never give Lepto ever--ever.  Canada no longer even gives this vaccine because the risks from the vaccine were greater then the benefits.  My vet gave my 12 week old Newf puppy a 6 in 1 with Lepto--she went into anaphylactic shock and almost died.  That ended my love affair with Lepto right there.  Tha was 13 years ago.
    I would seriously discuss the benefits and risks of annual vaccination with your vet.  I might also consider consulting a Holistic vet for advice.
Marie Campbell

Man Plans ~ God Laughs