[Dailydrool] Cleaning ears, cutting nails

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Sun Mar 4 09:38:55 PST 2012

ever tried putting him up on the dining room table .. boxing him in,
literally on all sides but the front at first, and then one side then the
other.. ?

The best luck I've had with clipping difficult nails was when they were
standing and had distractions .... like someone has been away for a while,
so the hounds are happy to see them and get some attention (petting etc)
while de - mom-person gets "biz--zay" (!!)  with them clippers! ;-)

The idea *literal* for boxing ... is that a standard table is too big ...
remember the vetmans' exam room tables .. they are barely bigger than a
hound ... so they have little room and have a risk in any direction of
falling ... so closing them in on the table gives them less room to maneuver
.. etc

The best, of course, is to get a table of your own .. a rectangular card
table (medium-ish) ... especially one that has four legs at/near the outer
edges for stability ... not one of those personal tables like at Costco with
the X fold legs because they may not be as sturdy and they'd be too small
for most bassets .. I have a 4 foot medium-ish sized one ... it folds ... is
decent though a little less secure in the center (because of the folding
ability) and a few years ago was only 35 bucks or so ...

Just thoughts .. good luck either way...

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Cleaning ears, cutting nails

 ...  And I have not told Conley yet but I found the muzzle, and I have the
nail cutters, and TODAY we are going to hack off those talons he is growing.
And maybe after a few times with the muzzle on he will remember that once
upon a time he let me do this without a fuss. Or. Maybe not.