[Dailydrool] poops in her sleep?

Pat Mayer lilygurl.pat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 20:52:14 PDT 2012

We have a basset-coonhound mix.  He has degenerative disc disease. About 4
years ago he went down in the rear and then had surgery to remove the
fragments of degenerated disc.  After about 8 weeks Murph was up and
walking again.  One side effect or result of the damage was that he
sometimes has no control over the poop.  He may get up from sleeping and it
just 'falls' out and he seems to be unaware.  Once in a while we find one
or two pieces in his bed. It doesn't happen all the time..just
occcasionally. Most of the time  Murph does the normal thing and asks to go
out and he does his business as the other dogs do. We were told this is
probably because of nerve damage in his spine over the years.

Since you mention that your dog has trouble with one of her rear legs
perhaps it is related to the spine or discs in the spine or nerve damage in
her back and if thats the case it may also be affecting her ability to hold
on till she needs to go out.

Pat

--
*Drool to all in need.