[Dailydrool] Watson, Katie, and Dadperson

Katie Strobel katie.strobel at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:25:09 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,
It has been quite some time since we last updated everyone on our status.
But, we have been busy catering to Watson's whims, and settling into
"adult" life.

I believe the last time we said hello, I was in law school in Wyoming while
Watson and his Dadperson were in Colorado awaiting the end of law school's
torture. Well, since then I have graduated from law school, passed the
Colorado bar exam, we got married, bought a house, and I started working as
a "real lawyer" at the Colorado Public Defenders Office. Dadperson
graduated with his Masters in Library Science from DU and is still working
as a librarian in my hometown. Life is relatively good, and of course we
read The Drool every day. We still light a candle when a furbaby leaves for
the bridge, and we celebrate when Drool does it's work.

Watson is now 6 1/2, and he's turning into an old man who likes his
routine. He prefers to sleep in his own bed (our KING SIZED BED is TOO
SMALL for him), in his own room where it's quiet (we sleep with a fan on),
and he prefers to awake around sunrise for breakfast before he takes an
early morning nap. He gets my leftover milk from breakfast cereal before he
commutes to work in his BUV about 45 minutes away with Dadperson. Watson
goes to Border Collie Daycare with his momma dog at my parent's house while
Dadperson works. We suspect they spend the day napping either on the couch
or the dirt pile in the backyard, depending on the weather, and they
supervise the neighborhood through the big front window when they're awake.
(Mostly, Watson naps and allows the Border Collie to remain vigilant.)
After work, Dadperson arrives to transport Watson back home, where he
awaits my arrival (which means dinner). Then after dinner we watch TV and
Watson "helps" with work until around 9 - mostly he serves as a heat source
and grumbles when I move around too much. After 9, he proceeds to the
bottom of the stairs where he nags us about bedtime until Dadperson carries
him up to his bedroom and gives him his goodnight cookie. Life as we know
it is all together lovely and serene. We have recently planted Watson's
vegetable garden and are working on growing his tomatoes.

We are currently contemplating a buppy -- but we aren't sure how Watson
will handle it. He typically likes other dogs (as long as they're shorter
than him), but he does prefer to be the center of our universe. We think
he'd ultimately like a buppy, and that a buppy would keep him young, but we
also wonder if he'll resent us or probably worse, the buppy. We'd get a
Basset again - a boy we think. We would still adore Watson and cater to his
whims, but we aren't sure that he'll share the couch or the bed during
weekend cuddle time, or anything for that matter. We also remember Watson
as a buppy, and we have to just prepare to dive in and do the buppy thing
again, so it might be awhile before we rip that band-aide off. Anyhow I'm
wondering if an only Basset who is sufficiently spoiled rotten and set in
his ways will hate me if I bring him a baby brother one day. Is it too late
do you think? Should Watson be an only Basset?

Anyway, really this message is meant to say hello to the drool - we have
been lurking this whole time but we're all still here, we're sending drool
to those who need it, and enjoying all of your stories.

We will try to do better with our participation and when Watson wakes up
 from his mid-evening nap, I'm sure he'll be interested in any advice you
have for a Basset who is about to mentor a buppy in the ways of the hound
for the first time.

Lazy evening drool to all of those who need it.

- Katie, Watson and Dadperson in Colorado