[Dailydrool] This and that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed May 2 20:17:07 PDT 2012

The Houndettes have been grain free for a while. We've used Acana and Taste
of the Wild-Salmon. We switched to grain free just because it seemed like
better food for the hounds, not for allergies. I just wanted to tell you
that our pet store owner strongly urged us to do the transition to grain
free very gradually and it took a full six weeks to switch them over to the
grain free food. We were told that it can be quite a shock to a dogs system
if you switch them too quickly. My daughter's mastiff has terrible
allergies and the Taste of the Wild Salmon was recommended to her to help
with the allergies and Sasha's done real well on it.

I can really appreciate what you're going through with Sister Daisy,
Debbie. Our Shadow is our finicky one. Our most recent addition to her food
to entice her to eat is ham bits. Well, apparently we've worn that one out
because she's refusing to eat when I put the ham in now so I've switched to
hot dogs and she'll eat when I put that in. Who would ever imagine that a
basset hound won't eat! Shadow has to sneak up on her bowl, then stand
there and stare it down for several minutes before she'll begin to eat.
You'd swear there was a snake in that bowl! In the meantime, Ginger is
leashed on one side of the kitchen while Jersey and Suzy have finished
their bowls and would be very happy to eat Shadow's too if I'd let them.
It's almost like she needs the other dogs to hang over her to motivate her
to eat. It's enough to drive you nuts!

I hope everyone is voting in the Shelter Challenge. It looks like another
agency has passed Utah so they're going to have to win the state to get
that prize. I'm generally able to vote a couple times a day on my computer
and can also vote from my phone. Lets help Utah Friends of Basset Hounds
win that $1000!

Get well and heart healing drool is being slung to all in need!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger