[Dailydrool] Watson and a buppy

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu May 3 18:04:49 PDT 2012

When our Jane was four, I convinced Drew that we should foster a dog. He didn't mind having another dog in the house, but he was so concerned with how his little princess would respond. Would Jane like having another dog around? Would she be jealous? Would they get along?

We brought Belvedere home, and they went through the usual jousting for position. Jane let him know that she'd been here first, and she ruled the roost. Happily, Bel was not an alpha dog and went along with that rule. Three days later, I found the two of them on the couch, draped across each other. We sent a Christmas card of it that first year to some Droolers on one of the howliday short lists.

Jane adored having a pack. We later added other dogs, and she never had a problem with one of them. I believe bassets love being part of a pack in most cases.

Be aware, however, that if you bring a girl into the pack, she will probably end up ruling the roost. Female bassets are somewhat bossy and usually  love to be in charge. The only female we've had who did not have that attitude was Alexis, who had been a single basset and was not used to being in a multiple-dog home. She never felt the need of other bassets, so she never wanted to rule.

Since a puppy may be overly lively for Watson, perhaps adopting a dog who is a year or a year and a half would be best? I vividly remember those young puppy days, when nothing was safe from teeth. My carpenter-brother had made my parents a butler's table for Christmas one year, and Jane redesigned it with her teeth.

If Watson usually likes dogs, he may love having a larger pack. But he will be in charge of the issue. If he doesn't like the buppy, it probably will not stay.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets