[Dailydrool] Why I support rescue...

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Sat May 5 05:00:38 PDT 2012

Last weekend we attended ABC's Basset Blast ( Elvis will post about that later). While there I got to chatting with a non-dawg person who asked me what the event was about and why I did what I did ( this question started because Elvis was in his stroller as he can't use his back legs).
I have always loved dogs- but then in 1995 a little basset girl crawled into my lap and straight into my heart. She grew up to be a b*tch... but she was mine and I was hers and then we 'found' the drool.
We don't have money to spare- but I do have some time and a limited amount of talent. I sew, print, bake, fundraise- whatever it takes to earn money for basset rescue.
Over 11 years ago my mom adopted a 2 year old boy. Sweet little guy who grew up to be quite the counter cruiser. No vices though- EVER! He has helped 'raise' a few of her grandkids. For nearly four years now he has lived with us. Sweet old man. All he asks for is our love. He has gone to hell and back medically speaking- and still no vices! At the end of the day or early in the morning when I have a few minutes to quietly spend with him~ he so appreciates my loving on him. It is all he wants. When it is busy and I don't have the time, he forgives me. When I get a little cranky with him ( he is incontinent and let me tell you the fourth time that bellyband comes off in an hour on your clean floor and he pees yet again...well my nerves only stretch so far...) he forgives me.
It is for him and others like him that I do what I do. I don't have money to give- so I give what I can in time or talent instead. If every person just gave a little bit ( time or money- both are equally important), it will save others like him. I have been Blessed and taught much by him being in my life. Through rescue I have made true friends. I have truly come to realize that I have more than enough of what I need.
So for all the little basset boys and girls who need furever homes- please do what you can to help them- in return they will give you more than you can imagine! Give a few minutes or a few bucks or even invite them into your home if you have room... it will grow into a fortune!
droolies, Angelika