[Dailydrool] Dan and fluids

Randee White randeewhite at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 14:19:15 PDT 2012

I need some advice.As you know, Dan is home.I've looked up the recipe for Satin Balls as he's lost weight and is having a hard time swallowing.I need something that packs a lot of calories into a small amount of food so I fugure that will work.Getting fluids in is a bit more challenging.I figured I could compare Dan's losing motor function in one side of his throat as similar to when humans have a stroke and can't swallow.Usually we recommend thickened liquids and holding firm pressure on the affected side of the neck until the person learns to swallow on the good side.It's not working for Dan.We had red jello this morning that he choked on, and then there was red jello everywhere.He wants water so bad and I'm afraid to let him drink more than a teaspoon at a time because he can't get it down.I've tried different head positions, I've considered sitting him up like a megaesophagus dog.I'm going to try ice cubes later.I can get his pills down so he does
 better with solids.I do have an appointment for tomorrow morning for subcutaneous fluids.Has anyone ever dealt with this kind of issue?The surgeon assures me this will improve but I'm beginning to question my decision to do the surgery as he's so miserable.  A worried Randee