[Dailydrool] Dan's path report

Randee White randeewhite at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 09:19:31 PDT 2012

Finally got the pathology results on Dan's mass.  Not good.  Thyroid squamous cell carcinoma.  The reason it took so long to get the results is that there are no documented cases of this in the vet literature.  There are 25 cases documented in the human literature over the last 25 years.  In fact, in the literature it says: TSCC: very rare, highly invasive.  Just perfect.  He is drinking water but not eating.  I put the water on the top step of a step stool and he swallows it down pretty easily without choking.  Food is another story.  He's totally not interested.  I've tried just about everything.  I finally force fed him some Satin Balls yesterday.  I have an appointment to talk to the oncologist Wednesday.  The surgeon suggested a few meds that might help him feel hungry.  I think he's hungry but I think the gagging and choking on his saliva is making him afraid to put anything in his mouth.  He gags and chokes frequently.  Well,
 he's a Basset.  He makes drool and it has to go somewhere.  I thought I would try some acupuncture and if that doesn't help, consider letting him go to the bridge.  Everything that I've read says the prognosis is 6-8 months.  But that's in humans being treated.  I don't think I want to torture him any more.   All of the drool and good wishes are greatly appreciated.  It helps to feel the love and support of so many.  It's a very sad time.  Randee and the White House Gang