[Dailydrool] About Eggshells and Making Your Own "Healthy Powder Supplement" for your Hounds

Houndy2 at aol.com Houndy2 at aol.com
Tue May 15 20:10:19 PDT 2012

We have chickens who have wonderful personalities and fun to have  around
(except when they eat the tender plants) but we have most plants safely x
penned off nowadays or up high in huge pots.  :)
The "girls" provide our dogs with good fresh eggs and also we use the
dried and then pulverized  eggshells as a supplement that  is cheap & easy!

Let egg shells dry out and then grind to powder in  a Vitamixer or coffee
grinder and store in a covered jar. Sprinkle a bit  over each meals food. OR
better yet try making up Healthy Powder  Supplement. If you want to make a
really good homemade Healthy Powder try  this! It is good and pretty cheep
too...and a substitute for "Missing  Link"!

   Here is a good "HEALTHY POWDER SUPPLEMENT" Recipe  from our Vet Dr. Doug
Yearout who gave us this recipe in one of  his handouts.  When mixing this
be sure to make it using ingrediants  from the health food store.
Combine 2 c. nutritional yeast, 1c. lectithin granules, 1/4 c. kelp (we use
 more kelp than he says) or alfalfa powder and 1/4 c. bone meal (or 900 mg.
 calcium or 3 tsp. eggshell powder) Optional: 100mg. vitamin C (=1/4 tsp.
sodium  ascorbate) and 1 tsp. garlic powder.

Yeast Substitution:  Omit the yeast, reduce the bone meal to 5 tsp. of
calcium or 3200 mg. ( 1 3/4 tsp. eggshell powder).  Use half the usual  amount
of Healthy Powder in each recipe you mix up of real meat and  veggies.  Add
a complete dog-multivitamin mineral supplement daily  as    Kelp
Substitution:  Use 1/4 tsp. iodized salt plus  1/4th cup of either alfalfa or
montmorionite clay or a pet vitamin/mineral  supplement.

A GOOD MEAT SUPPLEMENT FOR DOG KIBBLE using the Healthy  Powder:

1 # (or 2 cups) ground raw turkey, chicken, lean hamburger, lean chopped
chuckchuck or ground or chopped  lean beef heart. THIS IS ENOUGH FOR *8*
BASSET HOUND MEALS SUPPLEMENT AT OUR HOUSE.
4 tsp vegetable oil (olive flax are best)
4 tsp Healthy Powder
1  3/4 tsp bone meal or 1100 - 1200 milligrams calcium or 2/3 tsp.
eggshell powder
1/4 to 1/2 c. vegetables grated /chopped (we cook them a little)
At mealtime feed 1/4 c. of this mixture for every 1 c. of dog  kibble. It
can be frozen and thawed at mealtime.  Add fresh vegetables,  vitamins and
Missing Link (or Healthy Powder) when each meal is served.

We feed 2% Cottage cheese too as it is a palatable source of protein to
boost the nutritional value of kibble. No meat to chop an easy dinner or
breakfast meal and the Hounds LOVE it!!!

PS I used to think it was hard work to feed our dogs good fresh food but no
 more. It is hard to just go ahead and DO IT kinda equivelent to brushing
your  teeth...once you do it once you just DO IT you feel so great and you
are  rewarded later too!. It is easier and easier once you start and you see
the  difference in the hounds! Shiney coats, vital, and full of sass
Houndies!!!

Love and Woofs from Hudson Honey, Henry and Itty Bitty and their Mama  Alexa
Reminder to Save The Date
Basset Fun Day
June 23rd  12 - 3 at the Academy of Canine Behavior
BRoPS takes over the entire Doggy Daycare Building and Yards!
This is our biG push fundraiser of the year to help the Rescue  Houndies!
$10 each person and dogs go free (Basset Buffet! Meatballs! Treats!)
_www.adoptabasset.net_ (http://www.adoptabasset.net)
Go to _www.aocb.com_ (http://www.aocb.com)  for interactive  directions to
Basset Fun Day!
Please contact Basset Rescue of Puget Sound to RSVP so we will have pleanty
 of good food for our picnic
lunch!

Arroughs!