[Dailydrool] Puzzles

Alicia Pool apool at wolfrogersdickey.com
Wed May 23 07:18:12 PDT 2012

After reading about puzzles for dogs, I thought it would be fun to try a
couple.  I bought a ball that treats come out of as it is rolled around,
and one that has several cups on top that the dog takes off to find
treats.  The results have been interesting and quite funny.  Liz likes the
ball.  She rolls it around and seems to have a great time getting the
treats to come out - wagging her tail the whole time.  The other two look
at the ball but don't show much interest.  I set the other puzzle on the
floor for Gabe to try and took a cup off to show him there were treats
inside.  He sniffs and sniffs, then lays down and looks at the puzzle.
Liz sniffs and sniffs, then barks at the puzzle.  Flo looked at the
puzzle, and started pulling the cups off and setting them neatly beside
the puzzle before eating the treats - very methodical and she figured it
out right away!

After a few days, the scenario is as follows: Liz rolls the ball around
and gets most of the treats that come out except for the treats that Gabe
steals.  Flo plays with the other puzzle, but now Gabe swoops in and eats
some of the treats before Flo is finished taking the cups off, in addition
to chewing on the cups themselves after Flo takes them out.  Gabe does not
work either of the puzzles, but manages to get his fair share of the
treats anyway.  I'm not sure who is smarter than who, but we have had a
lot of laughs watching them.