[Dailydrool] Taking extra dogs to vet

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:00:29 PDT 2012

I had to laugh about Colt having to go to the vet with Rutger.  This is
only because I had read an article about the 10 things your vet wants you
to know and one of them was not to bring extra dogs along for the ride.
This was the only one I am guilty of breaking.  And it is for the same
reason.  You are having a crisis or mini-crisis with one and another one or
two insist on going and if you argue with them, you are going to be late.
So, you give up and let them come.  It is just easier than fighting and you
are in crisis mode for pete's sake.  Which then makes me wonder the heck is
in charge?  Me or the dogs?!  Oh wait.  I think we all know the answer to
that question.  I pretend to be in charge and the dogs let me pretend to be
in charge 98% of the time unless I do something they don't like. Then they
do what ever they think is best. After all, I am not capable of taking a
single dog to the vet by myself. Especially if there is blood or vomit
involved. It is obvious that the dog needs to be comforted the whole way
there and I can't do that and drive. So, I need help. It doesn't help that
all of my dogs think they are the official greeters for the vet. The vet
doesn't help this either. I board the dogs there and when I call to see how
they are doing invaribly I get the answer, "Well, they were barking in
their crates, so we let them out and now that they are running loose in the
waiting room, they are behaving very well. They are greeting every one that
comes in. How did you ever teach them not to go out the door?" Let's
reinforce being bad in our crate. It is true that they are taught not to go
out the regular doors without a leash on and a release command. The door to
the backyard is a sliding glass door. No. I have no clue why they follow
this command so well and not any others. Maybe it is because they get to be
greeters at the vet's. A job they dearly love.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn