[Dailydrool] LuLu in heat

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 26 12:02:54 PDT 2012

Hi all, it's the clueless momPerson here,

I didn't even know a dog could go into heat after she was spayed.  I especially
thought that because LuLu had pyometra according to her shelter records that
they removed everything.  The paperwork we were given when I took her as a
foster indicated as much.

Well, Snoopy has been sniffing her like crazy the last few days.  And then
yesterday Natalie saw some blood on her tail but we couldn't find the source
.... her privates were clean when I checked ... but there were some drops of
blood on the car seat.  Then, this morning, I noticed she seems to be straining
to poop (which she did manage to accomplish) and so I had a look at her bottom
and I saw blood coming from her vagina.

Well, I called the vet and brought her right in.  Unfortunately this is a vet I
have never seen before, the regulars are off for the long weekend.  He started
off with could be a fox tail, could be a bladder infection,  .... and ruled
those out because there is no puss, no fever, she is eating and drinking and
peeing and pooping.  Most importantly Cyrus and Snoopy cannot stop sniffing her
privates.  He started off recommending almost $1K in tests (heartworm, full
blood panel, xrays, urinalysis, etc, etc).  He said it could be poisening but I
have no poisen on the property, the other dogs have no sign, and she is only
bleeding from the ONE orifice ... so he ruled that out too.

In the end we wound up doing and estrogen panel .... which still cost me $220
with the office visit and all.  The vet said she MUST have at least a portion of
her uterus and a functioning portion of an overy or else she wouldn't be in
heat.  He stated that if (WHEN!) the estrogen panel comes back positive we will
have to schedule her for surgery and it won't be a routine spay either.  $$$$$
 He also said to keep her away from any intact males or things will go from bad
to worse in a New York minute.

Anybody have any experience or any advice please?

Thanks,

The clueless momPerson .... with a spayed dog in HEAT named LuLu and Snoopy (she
smells VERY interesting) and Cyrus (he keeps getting fresh with her)