[Dailydrool] LuLu in heat

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Sun May 27 05:33:28 PDT 2012

Dale,
Surprise!    Yep, that is what you have there, a real surprise!
Hope the boys are not going to fight over her,  be watchful as it brings out
the beast in the boys.
We got a little girl Beagle, Esty, in the rescue a couple years ago, from
AL.  All was well with her,  she was supposed to be spayed.  Come to find
out, she had not been spayed.  Fortunately, we did not
Find out by her having puppies, but by her going into heat.
Wow,  what a change it made in the house,  3 of the boys started fighting
over her, and ears were ripped.   I was pretty over all the changes with
their personalities, but the last straw was when
I was getting ready for work one morning,  this was about 8 days into Esty's
heat cycle,  and looked down the hallway to see Nathan and Esty hooked up.
I was stunned!  I felt like I had just walked into
My kids having sex and I just turned and walked the other way,  knowing that
separating them could do damage.
I had the sense to put up a baby gate so no other dogs could go back there.
I called my vet, asked if they boarded in heat females,  they said yes.   I
asked if they had a run open,  they said yes.  I told them I would be there
in a short while.    In the meantime, I heard a yip and looked back and the
2 Beagles were "unhooked".  SO I grabbed Miss "Thing",  and haled her off to
the vet.  Once there, they asked how long she was staying.  I told them to
call me when a.  she was done with her heat, or B. when they had spayed her.
And left.    Within the hour, the boys were normal again.
Esty stayed for about a week and came home none the worse for wear.  While
Nathan had been neutered, it was only about 10 days earlier, so was
concerned that pregnancy could be possible still.
Anyhow,  all this is to say, just because a rescue says one is spayed,
sometimes things get missed.
Lulu might have never been spayed at all!
Will be interested to hear what your normal vet says.

Drooling for all who have lost their beloved Bassets recently and all who
need drool.

wen and the Bounders
www.seniorhoundsabound.org    check us out!
www.bassetshop.com          shop online and help the Bounders