[Dailydrool] A question on adding fiber cereal or a fiber powder to the food

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Wed May 9 21:16:53 PDT 2012

Our Vet told me quite a few years ago to add fiber to the dog food when
trying to get my girls to lose weight.  He said that is what the dog food
companies do, they add extra fiber and call it "diet" food.  So I started
putting half a handful of FiberOne cereal on everyone's dinner, and it
helped a lot.  It also stopped anal gland issues and helped firm up the
poops for my two who tend to have runny poops.  Plain (not frosted!!) mini
shredded wheat cereal works well, too, but you have to give them quite a bit
more because it has less fiber than FiberOne cereal.  I quit using FiberOne
when the price hit $5 a box, I buy Kroger store brand mini shredded wheat
for less than $3 for a large box, it works fine and the girls love it in
their breakfast.  Gracie (and Anna before she left for the Bridge) gets a
large handful in her breakfast, she loves crunchy stuff and gobbles it right
up.  Holly the Picky Princess will not eat it that way, so I take probably 5
or 6 pieces (she is tiny and does not need to lose weight) and crush them
with my hands and then mix it into her food, and she eats it.  So the amount
to give depends on the size of the dog (Holly 40 pounds, Gracie 65 pounds)
and if they get anal gland issues or runny poop issues.

Anita Woodrum
awoodrum at clear.net