[Dailydrool] Trying to Bloat

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri May 25 02:01:02 PDT 2012

Llewis got me up and wanted out and I decided, while I waited for the Pokey
Puppy, to check my mail. Debbie, who knows about Bloat all too well,is
absolutely right in everything she suggested and I am going to buy some
pediatric GasX since I do not have any and keep taking the stuff meant for
the dogs anyway.
This, however, woke me right up and I began thinking about Bloat.
We have discussed this many times on this list but it never hurts to go
over it again, as Bloat is a TRUE VETERINARY EMERGENCY and you need to get
the dog to a Vet ASAP, or an emergency clinic right now, not in an hour or
two but now, this instant. Knowing what to do and what to watch for is
paramount.

*Dogs Die From Bloat. It happens all the time.*

I have a wonderful guide that some fantastic Drooler posted years ago and I
will scan in in the real morning and post it. (It is 3 in the morning, for
heaven's sake.)

Meanwhile.
Usually happens a while after a meal but this is not writ in stone.
Dog will be restless, agitated, clingy. He may try to vomit without
bringing anything up. Belly may look slightly enlarged.
GIVE SIMETHICONE!! get to a Vet. CALL AHEAD AND TELL THEM THAT YOU THINK
THE DOG IS BLOATING, so they can prepare.

If you are wrong, it won't hurt anything but your wallet: If you are right,
it may make the difference between life and death.

Dog's belly will swell.
There will be a cessation of stomach sounds.
If you tap the belly it sounds hollow, like a watermelon.
Dog will continue trying to vomit without bringing up stomach contents.
Dog's belly will be huge.
Gums dark red, dog panting heavily and drooling heavily.

*At this point you better already be in the BUV on the way to a clinic.*
**
A dog exhibiting some but not all these signs may be trying to bloat and
should be treated as if he is.

If your dog is vomiting up food don't try to stop. Pull his food and water
and watch him carefully. If his stomach is gurgling and loud this is good.

Here is why Bloat kills: As the stomach swells and or flips on it's axis,
not only is the blood supply to the belly cut off, but the swelling stomach
pushes against other organs, displacing them and making it difficult for
them to function. The diaphragm will be pushed upward into the lungs making
breathing difficult, and the heart will be crowded. Imagine someone putting
a deflated basketball in your stomach and then, suddenly without warning,
inflating it.
***************************************

This said, if I had a nickle for every time I have dragged a perfectly fine
but very gassy dog to Doc and had xrays taken, I could retire and afford
the dogs.
My motto with bloat, is BETTER SAFE AND BROKE THAN SORRY.

Bloat may also be caused, especially in elderly dogs, by something else
and may be secondary to another problem. Just getting the dog to the Vet
and DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT is not a guarantee that the dog will be okay. If
this happens, do not blame yourself or your Vet.
I believe that (and this is my opinion ONLY)  when a bloat-breed is spayed
the stomach should automatically be tacked to prevent torsion, but again
this is just my opinion and a dog with a tacked belly can still bloat, but
the stomach will not turn on the axis. Makes it easier to treat. This is
another discussion altogether.

MomPerson (wide awake now, thanks Deb,) to Nigel (Yes I have tried to
bloat) Llewis (me too) Conley (You should see them run!!)