[Dailydrool] Eating dirt and other things

oakrydgebh at q.com oakrydgebh at q.com
Thu Nov 1 10:16:38 PDT 2012

My bassets don't eat plain old dirt. It has to have some other enticing "treat" in it that they find too good to leave out of their diet such as nanny berries or kitty rocha. They will literally dig for kitty rocha. Along with the "treat" they also eat some dirt but none have had a problem as a result. They do find other things such as dead birds, mice or ??? and eat them if I don't see them with it. Dazzle nearly gulped down an entire gopher whole when she saw me coming to get it from her. I literally pulled it out of her throat by the hind legs.

More than once I've heard someone doing the erka gerka thing in the middle of the night and had to clean up something gross or dead they've barfed up. The pathetic look on their faces always make me ask "WHY did you eat that in the first place?" I've never gotten an answer from any one of them.

I usually give then some pepto and add yogurt or Dynapro (probiotic) to their food for a few days after one of these episodes. Our weimaraner Megan has a sensitive tummy and gets yogurt daily on her food. Even so, she will eat anything she sees the bassets eat and always gets a tummy ache as a result. The bassets seeem to have stronger stomachs. I've never seen any of them eat just plain  dirt.

Jacqie Marvich

Oakrydge Bassets