[Dailydrool] Cherry Eye

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 15:25:38 PDT 2012

Chris,
    Cherry eye is no big deal BUT make sure your vet is tacking the third eyelid back in place and is NOT removing it.  Cherry eye occurs when the cartilage flap that holds the third eyelid in place tears lose.  Many things can cause this: genetic weakness in the tissues or cartilage flap, a severe allergic reaction which causes the flap to tear due to severe swelling, excessive irritation, an injury....
    The reason it is imperative that the lid is reattached and not removed is that dry eye has been associated with removing the third eyelid.  The third eyelid has mucosa and tear glands and also helps the eye retain moisture.
    Make sure your GP vet has a successful history with this type of eye repair.  You do not want it re- tearing.  I had this problem with a Newf pup once and I had a board certified eye surgeon do the repair after my GP admitted she had very poor results with her repairs.  I no longer use her but that is another story.
Marie Campbell & the Basset Crew

Man Plans ~ God Laughs