[Dailydrool] Miss Angela is stubborn and irate

bjenk1 at cox.net bjenk1 at cox.net
Wed Nov 14 07:44:12 PST 2012

Bill here, press agent/personal trainer (emeritus) to Miss Angela Basset,
Droop and Drool Diva of Wichita and Sedgwick County

I know not how other hounds are taking it, but Miss Angela has determined
not to recognize the end of Daylight Savings Time.  In the past , she has
complained a bit but quickly fallen into a slightly new schedule.  Not this
year.  She begins her day at about 7 (the old 8) by coming into my bedroom
to see if I have overslept.  She settles by the bed and makes noises, subtle
at first (shaking her head to flap her ears, licking her lips, etc) and, when
that has no effect (well, it does wake me up but I too am stubborn) she
starts the whimpering of a long suffering faithful pet on the brink of starvat-
ion.  That gets louder and louder until I finally get up and let her out.  I try
to delay a bit giving her breakfast.

In the afternoon, about 4 o'clock, (five by her reckoning according to the old
time) she begins to interrupt Jeopardy by whining and starting toward the
kitchen.  She will do this several times, just to make sure that I notice her.
Then, seeing no reaction, she may hop up next to me on the couch and
just stare at me with those beseeching eyes.  A half hour or so later, she
hops down and begins again.  By 5, she is emphatically making her point
about my cruelty by barking.  Now, she knows that she doesn't get fed until
after the local weather (about 5:20) but she makes life difficult until I finally
ask if she is ready for supper.  Then she watches closely to make sure that
I am not making idle conversation, then walks me to the kitchen.  When I
get there, I see that she has not finished her dry food from the morning so
I am sure that she is not risking starvation, but I proceed to give her fresh
water, top up the  dry food and open a can to give her her twice daily half
can of wet food.  Then I go back to the local news and she follows in about
a half minute, streaming water from her ears and breath smelling strongly
of wet food.

If I go into the kitchen at any other time, she is right there, making sure that
I know that she would forgive me if I fed at an unusual time.  I often give her
a little rawhide chew which she takes to her special place to devour.

It is interesting working for a diva.

Bill  (time to go to class)
Angela (really, I could use a snack if you could manage it)