[Dailydrool] Zoe

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Nov 8 07:32:49 PST 2012

I have always depended on my vet to know when the right time is to let an animal go. We spend so much time there that she knows us and our animals well.

Never have I really thought the time was right to let an animal go. I want to hold onto them forever, and it hurts not to be able to do that. But my vet can tell me that it's time. When Belvedere's terrible arthritis was so bad, she was the one to tell me he was in pain. I knew what she was saying to me, and I did not try extraordinary measures. When Drew desperately wanted to hold onto Jane, who was truly suffering, our vet knew how to tell him.

A really good vet will know how to get through to you about this. There comes a time when nothing will help and the body is too frail. Until then, you want your vet fighting in every way possible to help your hound.

Your vet may want to say something but be afraid to. Open the door to that discussion, and you'll find out the truth. It may hurt like anything, but it's always better to know the truth than to keep your dog going in pain.

I know how hard it is, and I hope this is not Zoe's time. But sometimes we need to be brave for our hounds, no matter how much it hurts.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets
Lady Jane (ATB), Belvedere (ATB), Alexis Thefairyprincess (ATB), Abner (ATB), Holly Dolly, and C. Dexter Haven