[Dailydrool] Raw meaty bones

Susan Murray-Grage mzkrazykat at live.com
Mon Oct 8 02:53:07 PDT 2012

We slaves feed raw, and the raw meaty bone portion of the diet is comprised of "chicken backs" the carcasses left over when breasts are removed to be sold separately.  These are still quite meaty enough but with a good proportion of bone.  We have been using ones from a local free range organic farm, and can buy them 50lb at a time.  We chop these up and then grind them up with livers, hearts, gizzards, veggies, fruits, eggs, garlic, fish oil, yogurt, pumpkin (thanks to drool wisdom, for the anals), and kelp.  It seems to be working over the nine years we've done it.   To supplement, since we can't grind up other types of bones, we rotate different types of grain free kibble (evo, wellness, and others), to provide lamb, beef, fish, venison and sometimes rabbit. We sprinkle the kibble on the raw like a seasoning, and use it (aling eith al kinds of other goodies) for treats.  Lucy and Charlie did not grow up on this diet, and Lucy, in particular, is prone to swallow whole, so no one gets raw chicken legs or wings now.  As long as they are raw, they can chew them up.  It is cooked bones that are brittle and splinter.

 We serve the marrow bones that are conveniently sliced into approximately 1-2" rounds.  Our grocery store (Hannaford) apparently has a high demand because it stocks these bones packaged as "Rumba" bones.  We can also purchase larger such bones at our local pet food store (they're higher quality--organic, grass fed, no antibiotics, etc fed to the bones' prior owners) and more expensive, but they are a great treat that lasts.  If the rounds are large enough, they can get hooked on the lower jaw, so it is good to be aware of what size is safe for your  particular prince or princess.  I love the thieving antics that go on after the dogs have gotten all the best goods off the bones, and they are no longer so high value, but the kids are still gnawing from time to time. Whoever is without a bone will watch the gnawer until he/she is distracted and walks away for a second... Then whoosh, the bone is stolen!

I love discussions on feeding, especially now because I work for a vet who is skilled and has many great qualities but has the mindset that dogs must eat "dog food" and nothing else, and is rather adamantly against feeding raw food.  As the employee, therefore, I am not at liberty to discuss my personal feeding beliefs with clients:(.

So raw bone drool to all are willing to accept it, and kibble drool for those who aren't!

Lucy, Charlie and Otie's lucky slave, Susan