[Dailydrool] doggie speak

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 04:53:59 PDT 2012

This time I disagree with Riche. People with performance and show dogs (and
some normal people as well) teach their dogs signals to pee on command.
Mine is "Hurry up" or "Find a Spot". Even Doc knows what that means altho
he sometimes still Hurries Up inside. As they say, Handler Error. It means
i am not watching.
One of my Bassets went suddenly blind. By the end of the week were taking
walks again and he had learned "Watchout!" (he stopped)
"Step up" or "Step down", "go back" and the most impressive, "Go around
it". There was no question that these were things he understood because
they applied wherever we were, in the house or on a known route or in a
strange place.
All my Bassets know "LEAVE IT" and do. (quite astonishingly.) Probably
because inthe past I have pursued them and forcibly removed what they were
not to have. Every now and then someone breaks the command but it is not
usual.
They certianly  understand "Get in your crate" and "GIDOUTTATHERE!!" altho
Conley is clearly losing his hearing when I bellow GIDOFFTHECOUNTER.
("What? Say what? Could you repeat that?")
They all know "sit". Nobody knows "Down" (as in lay down.) All ignore "off"
as in "Get off me I have on clean clothe---well I did."
NOBARK is widely ignored.
60% of the time they come when called.
98% of the time they come when we rattle the biscuit box.
They DEFINITELY know "Let's get out of the crate now and go see Uncle John"
(The Vet.) This command is generally met with flat refusal.
Anyway I think that you can teach Bassets any number of words and that they
understand them. It requires good treats and endless repitition, but it can
be done.
One word none of mine have taken more than 15 minutes to learn is "Let's
Track".
MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and even Doc the Destroyer.

PS I have taught several dogs "go right" and "go left" and I taught one
Belgian "Freeze" (That was just for fun.)