[Dailydrool] Vocabulary and Nicknames

Muriel Fiona Napier allears at rogers.com
Tue Oct 9 17:49:01 PDT 2012

Riche wrote:
"They all know their names, but also know their
nicknames, all of whom have the same ones -- as in No-No-Bad-Dog and/or
Ow-dammit or Get-Out-From-Underfoot! (my favorite). They don't pay much
attention to the latter two.”

As far as vocabulary goes, Bonnie and Bertie understand (and sometimes obey) the usual doggie “commands” of down, sit, and so on. They do have one particular phrase that can cause total consternation/hilarity among any bystanders who happen to overhear me utter it ...

They’re usually on Flexi leads, and when we encounter an obstacle of some sort, then I murmur politely to them, “This way round the tree please”. And they usually oblige ... works for trees ... signposts ... mail boxes ... garbage cans ... people ...

They have various nicknames, perhaps the two most used being ...

“Oy” come!
“Dammit” sit!

Sameday I swear I’m going to have a brace of Bassets named “Oy” and “Dammit” ....

Muriel Fiona Napier
t: 519.362.1275
pui me amat, amat et canems meum