[Dailydrool] coughing in an older dog

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 04:19:32 PDT 2012

I wasn't going to write anything because I am not a Vet and I think I get
pushy often, but this cough really concerns me because he is an older dog
and he is coughing when he is at rest.
While it could be kennel cough, I would certainly not count on it. I would
find a Vet who can do a chest xray and perhaps a little more in-depth study
of that big old heart, because it is possible that it is failing. Coughing
at rest is a prime example of congestive heart failure, and a host of other
badass things that are controllable. This does not sound like a dog likely
to get KK. He could have pnuemonia-- Zelda had it twice and had that nasty
cough.
If it were me I would also find a cardiologist and have an ultrasound done
of the heart itself, or maybe it is an echocardiogram, I cannot recall now.
When it comes to eye pressure and possible heart problems, I don't do a
"wait and see". Of course, I have spent a lot of money on nothing. Better
that than not spending it on Something.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc