[Dailydrool] Question on Sudden loss of eyesight in hounds...

Jess'e Potts bassetlovers at mchsi.com
Wed Oct 17 16:18:51 PDT 2012

HHBR currently has Sissy in our care, she is a 13 year old senior girl that
came to HHBR’s care in very poor condition medically.  We have addressed all
her previous medical conditions and around 10 days ago her foster home
noticed she had green discharge from her eye.  She is one of those hounds
that has the great ability to see a patch of grass and simply dive bomb her
snooter into it just because it feels so good =)  We took her in and she has
an ulcer on the eye that covers ¾ of the eye.  We tacked the third eyelid to
the top eyelid to help the eye heal and have been offering her medications.
She rubbed her sutures out this morning with the edge of her cone of shame
and we had to retack the eyelid this morning but the infection is not
clearing and if not markedly improved at 10 day re-check she will have to
have the eye removed =(

Sissy is not coping well with the sudden loss of eyesight and has been
continually veering to the left (her right eye is the affected one), she
also is now doing circles until she Is led straight.  And she simply will
not walk a straight line.

Has anyone had any experience with loss of eyesight in one eye in hounds?
Is her behavior typical?  Will she adjust and not feel so disoriented?

Jess’e Potts

Director of Hounds Haven Basset Rescue

 <http://www.houndshavenbassetrescue.com/> www.houndshavenbassetrescue.com

Mommy to the Basset Crew:  Molly, Gillian, Odi & Finn

Mommy to Keelie the Rottie & Roscoe the Wonder Mutt

Mommy to the Kitty Crew:  Meeka, Chaquita, Olive & Pips

My Angels: Mariah, Matilda, Zoey, Bella & Sassy

“Every oak tree started out as a couple of nuts who stood their ground.”
Henry David Thoreau

“Most of the shadows of life are caused by our standing in our own
sunshine.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Notice:

This communication is an electronic communication within the meaning of the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2510.  Its disclosure
is strictly limited to the recipient(s) intended by the sender of this
message.  This transmission and any attachments may contain proprietary,
confidential, attorney-client privileged information and/or attorney work
product. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution, reliance on, or use of any of the information contained herein
is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Please destroy the original transmission and its
attachments without reading or saving in any matter and confirm by return
email.