[Dailydrool] Sudden loss of eyesight in hounds

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Oct 18 06:33:03 PDT 2012

Jesse:
Sissy is absolutely doing what most blind dogs do when they lose their eyesight, when she goes in circles. This is an effort to safely check out her surroundings. In time, she will stop doing this, when she is accustomed to her surroundings.

You might also check on the other eye, since she may have very limited sight there. Our Dexter did fine with just one eye, and the behavior Sissy is showing sounds to me as if she may not have a lot of sight at all. But since we did not have Dexter when he lost the first eye, I'm a bit limited as to my ability to respond to how a dog acts when it first loses one eye.

It takes a while for a dog to get used to being without sight, but bassets are particularly blessed with good noses and that low-to-the-ground stature. However, older dogs can take longer to adjust. And I'm wondering if the other ailments are playing into this whole thing, and if she may improve as she feels better.

Good resources for blind dogs and their care are Caroline D. Levin's book LIVING WITH BLIND DOGs and the Yahoo group at www.blinddogs.com.

The blinddogs group told me, "Blind dogs will amaze you," when I was so worried about Dexter losing his sight completely. They were so right. I know it may be a challenge to adopt out an elderly blind dog, but Sissy may prove to be a wonderful companion to someone. Three months out from losing his sight completely, our Dexter sometimes makes me forget he's blind. Though he's younger than Sissy, I know that Tri-State adopted out a elderly blind dog who is absolutely adored by his new family. I interviewed Sammie's people for TSBHR's newsletter, and it is clearly a match made in heaven, as so many basset adoptions are!
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets