[Dailydrool] New Dog

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 24 07:45:01 PDT 2012

Well, they don't call me the clueless momPerson for nothing!!

On the other hand I've brought home G-d only knows how many dogs from the
shelter in my life and there's always dogs here and so far I haven't had
trouble.  Here's what my mom taught me to do:

1)  Introduce on NEUTRAL ground.  Out front and NOT out back in the fenced yard
the resident dogs consider theirs.

2)  One at a time bring the resident dogs out ON LEAD to meet and greet the
newby.  Then take that one inside and bring out the next.

3)  IF all the resident dogs have been introduced and there has been no trouble

THEN    take the new dog out back and let them off lead with the resident dogs
and let them all run around.

ELSE  (there was signs of trouble) bring the new dog inside and place behind a
gate/crate/whatever and go slow

Generally we have no trouble and the resident dogs lead the newbie in through
the dog door.  I can't keep a dog who is trouble here as I have kids and other
dogs so those with issues move on through the underground basset (lab?  shhh)
railroad.

Good luck,
Dale