[Dailydrool] Introducing new puppy

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 05:49:02 PDT 2012

Sorry it has taken me a bit to post.  Things have been a little crazy.  I
will start with this one since it is the most time sensitive.  If I
remember right Louie is older (9) and Zoe is (5).  You are taking Louie
with you.  I wish you could take the female Zoe with you as well, but well
understand that some dogs don't travel well.  If it is a car sickness
issue, I would talk to my vet about cerenia.  It really gets rid of the
vomiting.  If it is a fear thing, cerenia won't do a thing.  The reason I
say this is that in my personal experience, if there is going to be a
problem, it is going to be a same sex problem.  When we went to get Banshee
ATB as a 16 week old puppy, we took Bubbles ATB who was 2 and Bismark ATB
who was 1.  Bubbles growled at Banshee on site and tried to bite her.  I
wish I had taken it as a sign because we put  up with 9.5 years of Bubbles
and Banshee attacking each other.  We just figured that Bubbles got used to
Bismark and she was stressed stressed from the car ride and it would all
work out.  It didn't.

On a happier note, we introduced nine week old Blitzen ATB to 9 year old
Elwood ATB.  I took him with me to see the puppy.  The family had 5 kids.
 He was more interested in the kids than the puppy, but he didn't seem to
care when she care up to him and checked him out and pulled on his ears.  I
prayed for the best and they were inseperable.  Blitzen was Elwood's puppy
and he took excellent care of her.

Elwood and Blitzen went with us to pick out Beauford.  Beauford just fell
in love with Elwood and was appropriately submissive to Blitzen.  We had to
drive 4.5 hours to get him.  We all drove in the car home.  I figured by
the time we got home, we would be fine and we were as far as introductions.
 I still watched him like a hawk with the others just to make sure.
 Beauford picked out Bugsey.  I was really worried about Browyn because In
between all this mess Beauford was attacked by Blitzen when she got her
brain tumor and went crazy, then by Beaker.  We don't really know what
happened with Beaker.  So, he now has a fear of adult female bassets.

So I asked Browyn's foster mom if we could find a midway point with a GABR
supporter that would let us use their yard and house for a meet and greet.
 She found one and we just let all the dogs run loose with leashes on them.
 Within 15 minutes of Browyn showing up Beauford decided that no one was
properly caring for the puppy and he would have to do it and the puppy was
dragging Bugsey around by the leash to play with them as well.  Obviously
after all that play and the long ride home I wasn't worried about
formalities.

It is generally a good idea to meet in a neutral area.  In your case, I
would use the front or back yard.  I would also pick up any favorite toys,
blankets, food bowls, etc.  So, the puppy doesn't inadvertantly start a
power struggle without even meaning to in the first few minutes in the
home.  I would keep leashes on everyone even if you don't hold on to them.
 You are watching the dogs and the leashes give you and extra handle to
pull dogs apart if a problem does start to surface.

I would really watch the other two for signs of fatigue.  They might need
more nap time away from the puppy.  That was a real issue with Elwood ATB
and Blitzen ATB with the 9 year gap in age.  Elwood was grateful to either
go in his room and take a nap without the puppy or have the puppy go in her
crate so he could be out without being mauled or they both go in crates for
a time out from each other.

If you get any puppy nylabones for Sydney, I would make sure they stay in
her crate.  An adult dog can do a number on a puppy nylabone.  Then you
will be frantically waiting to see if it passes.  Supervise, supervise,
supervise until you are sure where you stand with everyone, just like you
would a child and a dog.

Good luck with your new buppy!

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn