[Dailydrool] Introductions

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:19:17 PDT 2012

Suzy came to us as a buppy and we just had Jersey and Shadow at that time
who are both pretty easy. Jersey is an alpha but she rules totally with her
personality, not with her teeth. Ginger is a different story. She's a very
dominant female who bows only to Jersey so we have to be real careful with
introductions when we bring in a new foster hound. I usually let the new
hound into the back yard while the Houndettes go ballistic indoors because
they can see but not smell. Then the new dog comes into the garage and my
four go outside so they can sniff where the new one has been. The new hound
is let inside after everyone is out and is allowed to roam the house and
get their scent into the house. Then the baby gates go up with the new
hound on one side and everyone else stays on the other. I eventually let
one of my easy hounds loose with the new hound and switch them out one by
one. Ginger is always our tough one to have meet the new hound. The other
three welcome the new member in pretty easily but Ginger is tough. We used
to try greetings with her on a leash and that was a real mistake! Now we
keep her and the new hound gated apart for several days before they're
allowed to share space inside or out and then we're on our toes for a good
long time until we know how she's going to react. If none of your dogs are
nasty and dominant like Ginger, introductions should be a piece of cake.
Your older dogs may flatten the puppy a couple of times to let it know
who's boss but try not to interfere unless you're worried about the puppy
being really hurt. Generally, as long as teeth aren't involved, the big
dogs are just going to push the little one around so he/she knows whose in
charge. At least, that's what Jersey and Shadow did with Suzy. We've never
had a real young pup come to us since we have had Ginger so I honestly
don't know what an aggressive hound would do with a puppy.

Good luck! On one hand I envy you....who doesn't love a buppy! On the other
hand, I just have to think about the shark teeth, sleepless nights and
training to cure me of the desire for a buppy. Well, I might not be totally
cured....

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger