[Dailydrool] Glad I am NOT alone

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 2 10:22:21 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am so grateful for all of the mails about alphas, especially Debbie's.  That
is what I am going through here.  We've had no injuries but we have knuckleheads
for DAYS around here.  First off I want to say that Labs don't do this think of
stuff .... this kind of knucklehead stuff is reserved for bassets I do believe.

Gracie is the smallest of my three bassets.  And, YES, she still has staples in
her .... although I am going to try to get the vet to pull those out today, she
is off of restriction.  Now these dogs DO get along, they all play together and
lay down together and they eat within a foot of each other (because Gracie flat
will not TOUCH a bit of food if she isn't RIGHT NEXT to both other dogs).  But
the antics are going to be an end of me.

Gracie's favorite trick is laying down right in the line of progress, rolling
over and giving half belly while growlsing real quiet all the while and
challenging the other dogs to go past.  I have been watching them closely.  She
does it to LuLu.  When she does LuLu will walk right on up to Gracie and KONK
her hard in the headbone with her teeth (doesn't break the skin but makes a
sound) and Gracie shakes it off while LuLu strolls on past.  This is LuLu's
pattented answer to any challenge, she bares her teeth, growls and if Graice (or
Snoopy) doesn't back right off she pounds them one.  No bloodshed but MAN that
looks like it hurts.  LuLu does the same thing to Snoopy on walks if he barks
like an idiot at a fence containing a neighbor dog ..... right on the ear where
it joins his skull .... OUCH .... but he quits barking every time.  No blood, no
scar, I think she's boxing his ears here.

These three play rough and tumble.  Especially LuLu and Gracie love to wrestle
and tumble all over the place.  Snoopy joins in some, and I do notice that they
tone it down so the old man can keep up .... even still he's acting like his
back is hurting him some (yelped when I went to pick him up onto the couch last
night) so he's on 50 mg Rimadyl morning and evening for a while (vet said not to
worry unless he starts to puking or having diarrhea).

Snoopy will sometimes get frustrated with Gracie and bark his fool head off at
her and back her up into a corner and she just barks right back and it sounds
like world war 3 but no casualties as yet .... although I had to break up the
pushing and shoving in the kitchen the other day and both dogs walked away
limping (both limps lasted about 10 minutes).

At times they are all 3 up on Greg and my bed.  At times they are all clustered
together.  At other times they are all in different rooms.   Last night Snoopy
slept with Julianne, Gracie slept with Natalie and LuLu slept with Greg and I.

Just now Gracie was sitting in front of the dog door and Snoopy wanted to sun so
he was eyeing her and she was eyeing him so I went over there and pulled her out
of the way and he went outside and she is now waiting for him just inside the
dog door.

Sheesh.

The clueless momPerson.... wondering who her alpha dog is but after rereading
this and noticing that LuLu is completely unaffected and snoozing in the reading
chair at my side as I type this .... hummmm ...  I might know.