[Dailydrool] Maisy's Spay and The Crate

D'Ann Love lovedann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 17:49:55 PDT 2012

Maisy, my first ever Basset, is getting spayed tomorrow.  After walking with a pronounced limp this week, she was also diagnosed with 'pano,' aka growing pains, Pain medication and an NSAID have her feeling great and not wanting to take it easy, as doctor recommended.

We've only been together only three weeks, but Maisy is just the sweetest, smartest pup ever. She learned a new name in a few days, learned commands and is crate trained, once you get her in there (see below).

Maisy is also very girly and likes to Spa. She loved her pre-op bath and even enjoyed getting her ears cleaned. She climbed in my lap and let me thoroughly clean each ear. Such a good girl!

The one thing Maisy doesn't like to do is get into her kennel. I'm concerned about this because after surgery I don't want to hurt her. She's eight months and 43 pounds. Any suggestions for successfully getting Bassets into crates? She's fine once she's in there and I know the crate wasn't used as punishment. I use treats, but still have to 'shovel' her in.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

D'Ann and Maisy
The Long, Tall Texans
(She's Long, I'm Tall)