[Dailydrool] Alpha and Pooh Eating

Linda Gardner hockeyphans at verizon.net
Wed Sep 5 07:28:34 PDT 2012

Our Lucy was a very quiet alpha.  She never growled or bared her
teeth.  When she arrived, we had Elwood.  Elwood owned the dog chair
(henceforth referred to as the throne).  Regardless, she would get
herself up on it whether he was there or not.  She would perch herself
on the back, while Elwood was on the seat.  She once even squeezed
herself in the seat with him (said situation documented in a previous
Daily Drool Calendar). When Elwood went to the Bridge, she didn't care
at all.  She immediately took over the throne.  She became the Basset
Queen.  Then we got Bubba.  Bubba was a very large basset - not fat,
just big.  Lucy loved her stuffed animals.  We referred to them as her
army.  Since Bubba wouldn't touch hers, we bought him a duck of his
own.  He picked up the duck once.  Lucy took exception and took it for
her own.  Bubba never picked it up again.  He never touched anything
that had Lucy's scent on it.  He never went on the throne.  He was
totally submissive to her.  Bubba went to the bridge two years later.
Lucy was by herself for 7 months.  Then we got Barney.  Barney never
tried to get up on the throne.  That was Lucy's, and he knew it.  He
would lick the inside of her ears and she loved it.  Lucy went to the
Bridge last year.  At that point Barney took over the throne.  Neither
Bubba nor Barney wanted to cross Lucy.  I think Elwood thought she was
just impudent.

I've dealt with pooh-eating dogs for what seems forever, some worse
than others.  Jake would wait 'til Snoopy would go out, follow him and
lie in wait - he really liked it fresh.  Bubba ate both his and
Lucy's.  I noticed Barney only eats it occasionally.  I think with him
it depends on what he or another dog has ingested.  I had to give away
his special dog cookies because he liked them the second time around.
Elwood was the only dog who was cured by Distaste.  I tried with Jake,
but it got too pricey and it didn't work.  I don't think it's a
nutritional thing, but an additional source of "treats,"  easily
available.

Linda Gardner, serving wench to Barney (who is dog #11, and basset #8)