[Dailydrool] My Journey with Dakota

barbcressy at charter.net barbcressy at charter.net
Wed Sep 5 08:05:53 PDT 2012

Just wanted to share my "speech" from our recent Bark For Life

My Journey with Dakota

When we brought Dakota home 12 years ago I was going through chemo
treatments for breast cancer. He was always by my side, loving and
watching me. Cancer brought him into my life and it took him away from
me. I believe any strides we make in finding a cure for cancer in
humans, will also benefit our canine companions as well.

Dakota was the sweetest dog ever, as bassets tend to be. He did like to
get into trouble as well, another basset trait.

The first thing he did was to tear his cruciate ligament and had to have
surgery.  We built him a ramp and bought steps so he could get into his
chair.

The next big thing was that he had a lump on his side, fearing cancer,
he had surgery to remove it and to get it tested, Praise God no cancer!

At our house our backyard floods as does our basement, so we put a
drainage ditch in, and lined the fence with pea gravel. Well bassets
like to eat anything, and eat he did. So he had to spend a day at the
vets yet again. They had to help him “pass” those stones.

Dakota did fine for awhile, and it seemed almost overnight he developed
a large tumor on his neck. So back to the vet he went. We were so
relieved when Dr Paxton said it was a fatty tumor.

It continued to grow and he looked like a hunchback. Dakota developed
those fatty tumors all over his body. All were checked and were found to
be fatty tumors. I worried every time, remembering when I found my own
lump, that led to my cancer treatment.

On the morning of 3/30/12 Dakota could not walk, he couldn't even stand.
His head was tilted and he looked at me as if to say help me.

This was the worst moment of my life, I sat down on the floor with him,
cuddled him and cried. I thought he may have had a seizure or a stroke.
It was too early to call the vet so I continued to cuddle him and cry.
When it was time I called Dr Paxton, they said bring him in ASAP.

I wrapped him in a blanket and pulled him out the door but I wasn't able
to lift him. He was about 75lbs, so I had to tug him back into the house
I needed to go get my dad to help. Needless to say we made a sling out
of his blanket and got him into the car.

Dr Paxton checked him over and said he didn't have a seizure or a
stroke, but that there was something neurological going on. So Dakota
stayed for testing and xrays.

Just a couple of hours later Dr Paxton called and said Dakota had
several tumors, and that his bloodwork wasn't good. He felt it best that
we end his suffering.

At 2 pm we went in and were able to see Dakotas xrays. He had tumors in
his lung, his, liver, his spleen, and most likely his brain. There was
no doubt Coda would only suffer. So we said goodbye to our sweet boy. He
is now at the rainbow bridge waiting til we meet again and cross into
heaven together.

Cancer has taken many special people in my life, and I know quite a few
humans and dogs battling right now. My little cousin Deegan was born
about a month ago with a large tumor on his brain, sad to say he lived
only a few hours. It is my belief and my desire that we need to keep
researching~~~CANCER NEEDS TO END NOW!