[Dailydrool] blastomycosis

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 16:49:20 PDT 2012

Blasto is a fungus. It occurs naturally in damp wooded areas in particular,
farms, anyplace where the soil is moist and there is rotting vegetation.
It is acquired when the dog (or person) inhales the spores from the fungus.
It is not contagious in the common sense of the word, altho the human owner
may be infected at the same time as the dog. Dogs at high risk tend to be
sporting breeds and dogs used for hunting and tracking, when they are used
in areas rich in organic debris and moisture.
It may be spread to humans through a bite, but is not "contagious" from dog
to dog. I have known of hunters with two or three dogs in their kennels who
come down with Blasto because they have all been used in the same area.
Blasto is also not common.
It is treatable but it may also be lethal if it is not diagnosed and
treated fairly quickly.The symptoms (among others--i can't remember all of
them) are fatigue, anorexia, fever, pustule type lesions,
limping---anti-fungals are usually given orally over a prolonged period of
time. I know a couple of dogs who have recovered from it But I  hasten to
add that I know very very few dogs that have had it at all.
Diseases like Blasto and several other equally nasty fungi are one reason I
am now hesitant to track with Conley, especially in untended areas. That's
all I need.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis and Conley