[Dailydrool] I'm king of the house

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 17:40:00 PDT 2012

Harley, our alpha male, marks places where he smells or sees that other animals have been (except for his brother). Fortunately there are only the two dogs and us in our house. I wrote a few weeks ago about Harley's dominance ritual with our feral chicken--making her move when Harley comes into the yard and then peeing on the spot where she was standing. Now he's doing it with mice! Oy. We catch about three mice or rats a week on our front stoop in a have-a-heart trap that we set at night--then in the morning we take them to the countryside on Bill's way to work and release them. Usually the trap stays in the trunk of the car during the day. This morning I left it on the stoop. I was just outside and Harley had left a big puddle of pee right beside the trap. Hear ye, hear ye, all in the animal kingdom. Let it be known that Harley is the king of this abode!