[Dailydrool] Dog Beds - stuffing and other ideas

basset911 at aol.com basset911 at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 09:23:24 PDT 2012

Hiya Droolers!!
I have to admit, I catch the drool here and there, so I miss many, MANY wonderful stories.
I did happen to catch a few stories of late about dog beds being washable, and thought I'd share our Daphneyland tricks learned over the years.
When we first opened up, we had all stuffed dog beds.  Costco ones primarily and the covers were removable but the innards were not washable. We tried many tricks - using a bleach sprayer, saturating and then leaving them in the sun to dry to extend the life, taking them to the laundromat and washing on gentle in the huge machines, wrapping the innards in garbage bags and taping them closed before putting the covers on.  Some worked well, others did not.

One day one of our people who is highly involved with the Red Cross called and said they were closing several emergency storage warehouses and had donated heavily within the human population, so he wanted to donate to the hounds.  Among the items they were donating were..... Human Bed Pillows.  At the time we had a hound who had come in hairless - Spencer.  Allergy testing, daily shots, special food got most of his hair back, but he scratched nonstop and we were at our wits end about it, until we got the allergy testing results and cedar was a very high allergy!  Most dog bed innards have cedar in them - OMG!!!  The human bed pillows were the answer we were waiting for!  Hypoallergenic, washable - what could be better?  It takes 5 pillows to stuff a large dog bed to a hounds satisfaction (tested on thousands of hounds - no bassets were hurt in the testing).  So when your innards are worn out - watch for pillow sales and stock up.

One word of caution:  When bedding down 66-100 hounds, try to make sure the pillows are not Feather stuffed.  Given the chance, one of the hounds will undoubtedly decide to de-stuff those pillows!
We use Kuranda Beds (and they get our highest rating!) however we still have beds - and lots of them!
Pillow donations are always welcomed!

Dawn of the West
Basset Rescue Network at Daphneyland
www.daphneyland.com
www.facebook.com/daphneyland
661 269-2682

The Annual Basset Picnic is October 21, 2012 at Arcadia Park, CA ! Come one, come all!