[Dailydrool] Amanda Lynn Update

Marilyn Burns mj_burns at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 9 07:15:40 PDT 2013

I just wanted to give you a quick update on my little Franken-basset....

Amanda Lynn is really doing extremely well.  Her sutures were removed a week
ago Monday.  As horrific and large as her incisions were - she breezed
through the healing process.  After the first 24 hours - if you didn't see
her back - you wouldn't have known ANYTHING was wrong!

But the poor girl is in a bit of a Catch-22...

She had been on Royal Canin SO for struvite stones she has developed in the
past.  The first time resulted in major surgery to remove a bladder full of
them.  About a year or so ago - an xray again showed her full - but we opted
to let it go - agressively treat the UTI - which is a main cause of the
stones developing - and primarily feed her the food.  You may remember - an
xray taken before this cyst surgery showed her bladder empty.  BUT she also
had extremely high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in her blood.
The Royal Canin SO food is very high in fat and calories -- which is most
likely contributing to the blood issues.  Plus - her pre-surgery blood test
and subsequent culture showed a UTI caused by e coli.

Doc felt it extremely important to take her off the food - because of the
cholesterol issues - but we have to keep her UTI free in order to prevent
the stones from developing...  Along with low-calorie food change - she's
taking a fish oil capsule a day as well to help with the cholesterol.  We've
had her on Baytril for several weeks for the UTI - and we're waiting for the
results of the last urine test/culture that she had yesterday.

The only thing we can do at this point it to test her regularly and respond
accordingly to any changes that may develop.

Thank you for all your support - it really has made this ordeal a lot
easier...

Marilyn - loving Mom of Amanda Lynn and Bridgemates Samantha Sue and Bob
Burns