[Dailydrool] Morse attack

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 17 14:08:50 PDT 2013

Morse was attacked last week by a very large (boxer height) staffie\pitbull-type dog on the beach. I saw the dog approaching us and tried to veer Morse away but the other dog was too quick. All seemed well at first; the owner was nearby and Morse and the dog were both off leads. Then the dog suddenly started circling round Morse and then launched an attack. Morse was lucky really; the attack lasted about 30 seconds and he had 4 separate wounds to his neck, ears and head. The vet said that because of his loose skin and "padding" (he needs to lose about 7 lbs) it probably saved him from being more seriously hurt.  I was really terrified that he was going to die while the attack was happening. The owner of the dog and I couldn't get the dog to loosen his grip despite him thumping his dog and I kicked him several times - nothing that I am proud of, but needs must.  He finally loosened his mouth and we were able to pull him off.  Morse has come out of
 it fine, the wounds are healing and he is still happy with other dogs. Over here *taser* type products are not allowed, I am now carrying a large stick when I am out; any thoughts of what else might be useful if anything like this (God forbid) happened again? I am wondering if a rape alarm type of noise might stop an attack by shocking the dog?  I am sorry to say I have missed out on the last week of drools because of this, so if I have missed anything I am truly sorry.  Drool to all.
Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB