[Dailydrool] voting, this & that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 13:56:21 PDT 2013

I was out of town for a week and am just getting caught up. First, wishing
you a speedy recovery Bev! I REALLY hope the pop you heard were just some
bones creaking and nothing more serious! The Houndettes are on double time
drool patrol for you and any two or four legger who needs it.

Everyone, please don't base the rescue we decide to vote for on how many
hounds they may have posted online or how many the rescue is able to take
in each year. As a member of a very small rescue and the beneficiary of
your generous voting, BaRCSE has times when we may have ten hounds listed
or none. We are totally dependent on people's generous donations. We aren't
big enough to have a store and we don't have a lot of volunteers so we
aren't able to attend a bunch of events but we certainly have made a huge
difference to the 50 plus hounds we've rescued over the past three or four
years. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but it has been pretty meaningful
to those hounds who are now in loving homes. Small rescues save lives too.

I missed out on the talker thread but we have a bunch of talkers here.
Ginger is LOUD! and generally has a lot to say. Jersey is next. We found
out early on that she never learned how to hum when she's happy and
she growls at everything. She also doesn't know how to howl and kind of
huffs along when the crowd is howling. Once in a while something comes out
that might be mistaken for a howl but she just doesn't seem to be able to
get her act together enough to really howl. Shadow is actually pretty quiet
unless she has an important announcement to make and then she'll bark till
she knows she has your attention. Suzy is our shrieker. She has the most
annoying high pitched shriek when she's letting us know something is going
on in the back yard. She's our bell hound and has a wonderful howl but her
shriek bark is enough to make you crazy.

Our Suzy Q Basset will be six years old tomorrow! Suzy is our only rescued
Houndette that I know for sure when her birthday is. It's hard to believe
that it's been five and a half years since she came to us as a crate abused
puppy who had no interest in anything....people, the other hounds, nothing.
She had a tough start with us because she had to have her front leg
surgically broken within a couple of months of coming to us but boy, have
things changed since then. Suzy has developed a wonderful personality! She
is so sweet and just loves people now. Generally she is pretty submissive
but found out a couple of years ago that she can fight back when Ginger
behaves badly so she doesn't take any body's crap any longer. She loves to
race the fence with the neighbors dog and is actually very fast! The DH and
I have both said how glad we are that we discovered the orthopedic problems
she had early so she is able to run like that now. She is an absolute joy
and has been a terrific addition to the herd.

The Houndettes are sending lots of heart healing and get well drool to all
in need. We'll have some extra drool to share tomorrow as we celebrate
Suzy's special day!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger