[Dailydrool] The best of dogs, the worst of dogs....

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 20 21:22:52 PDT 2013

Harley of Hawaii is the best of hounds and the worst of hounds. we love him beyond all reason. when we adopted him, he had run through six previous owners. the owners before us said "This is the perfect dog. If ever we were going to keep a dog forever, it would be this one,....but it just wouldn't be fair to him...." Red flag? Lol

He is the perfect hound. Loving to a fault. Obedient (a Basset obedient? Actually yes). Quiet? a mouse. Unless you leave him alone, in which case he will bark and howl for hours (although in the past few months, after living with us for seven years, he has finally gotten over this. still, I am rarely away from home, and when my husband and I do go away, Harley has trained us to hire in home dogsitter's who are never away for more than an hour).

this week Harley demonstrated his singular skills. I drop off and pick my husband up from work each day. bill works at a community health center. I was sitting on a bench outside with Harley when a young man was wheeled out in a wheelchair. he had obviously been in a terrible accident. His face was black and blue and stitched; one leg was in a plaster cast; one arm was in a sling, and he looked in pain. I did not look at him very long hoping to not make him uncomfortable. Harley, however, made eye contact with him and held it.  Moment passed and then Harley slowly waged over to him, stood up on hind legs and rested his front paws on the top of the wheelchair tire, and planted a gentle kiss on the young mans cheek. Despite all the stitches, the young man grinned. Harley is an empath.

then today Harley and I did our first home visit ever in Hawaii for AZBHR. The potential adopting family has another dog and three school age kids. Terrific family. Harley could not restrain himself from humping not only their dog but all three kids! and Harley is a ten year old neutered male. I have not seen him behave this way in seven years! I guess he had his own ideas about how to assess the suitability of potential Basset owners...

Ans on another note, Harley's brother, Bo, seems to be recovering well from his surgery though he still has a ways to go. Semper fido to all, from Harley, Bo (Emperor Fido, CIC PBF)' and Val of Hawaii