[Dailydrool] Annie is being a B^&%$!!!

Rose Hughes rosekh at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 17:32:42 PDT 2013

Annie and Fred were adopted at the same time, and are very bonded.  Annie is not crazy about any dogs other than Fred, or any people other than me.  I figured it would take some time for her to get used to Marty, but I don't know how to handle it when she makes it clear that she wishes that he would disappear.

For the most part she ignores him.  When we're out walking, or when there's some food on the floor, she is fine with him being near her.  The problem is when he wants to be near me and she doesn't want him to be.  This often happens if we're sitting on the couch, and they're all trying to get near me.  She'll snarl, and today she nipped his ear, which caused him to yelp.  I tell her "No!", but she just stares at me, so I don't think it's having much effect.  She used to do the same, on occasion, with Fred, but this is much more often, and she never bit Fred.

How much is it just them establishing a pack order (of which she is undoubtedly the Queen), and how much is her being a bully to this young dog, who's obviously been abused and just wants to be loved?  If this is nature taking it's course, I don't want to intervene, but I also want her to know that I am not happy with her behavior.

I just signed Marty up for an obedience class which starts May 5th, and am having a trainer come to the house, starting June 3rd, to help me work with all 3 of them (Annie and Fred have never been trained.)  I will definitely ask her, but am hoping for some advice before then.

Thanks,
Rose, Annie (why is he still here?), Fred (can't we all just get along?) and Marty (wow, she's mean!!)