[Dailydrool] Socializing

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 07:15:37 PDT 2013

I have had Bassets so well socialized they could have run for political
office fall apart totally at about age 1. These are dogs that have been to
classes, been trained. been shown,been to parties, been to playdates, and
suddenly, there they are, hiding in the bushes, refusing to put their
lovely tails up in the ring.

I had an acquaintance with a Belgian who forced the obviously terrified dog
to participate in training classes which were loud and chaotic for the very
best dogs, and must have been crushing for this little bitch.I have never
quite decided which is better:
To continue to urge a reluctant and unhappy dog to be social, or to say
stay home and be content.

If you have a whole kennel to chose from it's not that hard a decision, but
if this Basset is the only one you have to show, and he hates it.....??????

MomPerson to Nigel (I'm not going out there.) Conley (My tail doesn't bend
up in the ring.) Llewis (She never asked me) and Doc (what? what? It's not
supposed to be UP?(Doc's tail in the ring is NOT supposed to be up high.)