[Dailydrool] Goats

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at comcast.net
Mon Apr 29 12:29:19 PDT 2013

My sister has a beautiful lot that slopes down to a creek, but part of it is very steep and while she tried seeding wildflowers, it was still weedy.

So, she calls me and asks me what do I think about her getting a goat? I tell her I don't think it is a great idea. She does it anyway. Cute little

baby goat they named Angel. Problem is, Angel liked her garden plants and trees much better than the weeds. Staking her so she could just

reach the hill (and thus the weeds) resulted in very loud bleating that was not a hit with the neighbors or my sister.

When Angel got to be full size, she was very, very strong. My nie ce and nephews (teenagers) were terrified of her---she would charge and head butt

them HARD and knock them down. She got to the point where my sister could not really have her out of her pen, as she was too strong on a lead

for two people to control (she had a halter).

To keep this basset related (at least dog related), when I was a kid, my neighbor had a goat and a dog. They would play all the time, but part of that was butting

heads. The poor terrier guy would get butted by the goat and stand up shaking his head like he was almost knocked out. They really liked each other, though.

I heard a good way to get rid of weeds is to spray with vinegar, or a mix of vinegar and water. Haven't tried it, but going to. Less toxic to the bassets and to

the birds in my yard.

Marilyn Briggs

P.S. My sister ended up giving Angel to a goat farmer near her who had a goat cheese operation and many other goats.