[Dailydrool] met a beautiful Basset yesterday...

melissa gibson magbjh at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 06:54:39 PDT 2013

I just had to reply to this post. Let me tell you a little story. About 2 years
ago I got an e-mail from someone wanting me to foster their 2 senior dogs for
the summer while they moved out to California for a new job and until they got
settled. They had gone through the rescue website and Gail, knowing what a
sucker I was for seniors passed it along to me. The dogs, Max & Hubie were
adorable and well behaved and had been with this woman their whole lives. I
questioned her about why after their whole lives they were possibly going to
dump them in a shelter if she hadn't contacted us-She said her sister who had
originally said shewould watch them had changed her mind at the last minute.
They gave me 75$ for food, she had originally offered more but I declined. I had
the dogs for 6 weeks and was in e-mail contact with this woman whose initials
are C.N. (I hope you are reading this!) The dogs were a complete delight and had
been well cared for and loved. At the end of the summer I was about to go on
vacation and could not afford to board her 2 along with my 3. Her sister
wouldn't take them even for a week so her son, who lived apparently the next
state over from me came and got them. He just loaded them in the truck and drove
away, no thank you, never heard another peep from the owner. Wondered why the
son couldn't have watched them but whatever. I loved the dogs. Well as I am
prone to do I surf the net looking at pictures of all the bassets and rescues.
My co-workers call it my dog porn. This was this fall I come across non other
than Max and Hubbie in the Golden Gate Basset rescue site. I literally let out a
loud scream sitting at my desk. I was livid, I went home and called the rescue
immediatly. So not only had this woman,C.N., left these 2 precious seniors with
me for the summer, then she dragged them out to California and then eventually
dumped them at a rescue. The sweet woman at the rescue called me right back
because she could tell I was very upset. She said they were kept together and
being fostered by a great foster parent. I told her the whole saga. She e-mailed
me a few months ago to let me know they had been adopted together. They are
better off now. I just couldn't believe after all that she dumped them at a
shelter. I was saying to myself, she better be dead because that was the only
acceptable excuse. Sorry to be getting worked up. They were just sweet, sweet
boys and I should have just kept them myself. Just a cautionary tale I guess.

Melissa