[Dailydrool] Howling

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 18:58:21 PDT 2013

Both Harley and Bo talk a good deal, but true howling is rare. Bo only "bays"---an ear-splitting single ROO! Then a pause, then another. sounds a little like someone hitting a gong. well, he also mumbles, and moans, and whines, and sighs, but I'm talking about unique hound noises). Harley mostly barks. but every now and again Harley will howl--a soft Irish tenor noise that sings sweetly and then rises from his throat in a long arc into the air which goes up part of an octave and then down again, very slowly and mournfully,before softly petering out. Harley howls if you sing with him, or if Mom leaves and he is left behind in the house with just Dad. Harley sits on the stoop, lifts his nose to the sky and sings the blues. rrrrrrr--oooo-ooOOOOOoooooooo........It really is a lovely sound. I don't feel the same way about either the baying or the barking. and certainly not the whining and mumbling.