[Dailydrool] drool and insight about splenectomy requested

lois.leader at cox.net lois.leader at cox.net
Fri Apr 5 21:22:54 PDT 2013

I’ve been an avid reader of, but only occasional commenter on the Drool for a long time. It’s been a pleasure to follow the escapades of the various doggies on the Drool, and I have benefited from the advice I’ve read from veteran Basset parent-persons.

Now I have a Drool request to bring before you. My beloved Basset, Bobo, was just diagnosed with a mass on his spleen. He has only shown discomfort with it this last week. The X-rays show the mass but don’t indicate obvious spreading, although there is one iffy little spot that only shows in one view. We have scheduled a splenectomy for Bobo. The vet tells us that 2/3 of these masses are malignant, but those usually show spreading. Bobo is 12 years old. Has anyone had experience with this type of operation for their dogs? I sure would appreciate some insight about it, especially after-care and quality of life for the patient.

These decisions are hard! We don’t want to put Bobo through unnecessary suffering, but we also want to take advantage of any opportunity he may have for some more quality life. He’s a big, sweet cuddle-bug. Thank you SO much for listening and for any insight you can share.  Lois Leader and Bobo.