[Dailydrool] Picking up and cuddling bassets

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Apr 8 19:20:37 PDT 2013

Until our last two hounds, everyone was too big for me to pick up regularly. But now that we have Dexter, who weighs in at about 45 pounds and Horton, who is around 37 pounds, I actually can pick up bassets for a brief period of time. Usually that means they're being moved from one place to another.

The best place to cuddle bassets is on a bed or couch. When he's with me, Dex will cuddle up and make lovies. At night, that means pushing between Drew and me so he can sleep touching us both. After all, he's the one who loves us both more than words can say. But usually this means I get pushed off the bed, unless I'm very careful about how much room he gets. I'm getting skillful at using treats to get him where I want him to be.

Horton adores me and wants to be close as much as possible. He loves being at my feet when Drew is in the room--he's terrified of Drew and knows that I will protect him. He cuddles me on the couch or squeezes beneath my feet when I am sitting in a chair.

You don't need to pick up a hound to cuddle. If I had a nice, clean, cushy carpet, I'd probably cuddle there. But our carpet left us a long time ago, when the seniors started peeing on it incessantly. Hardwood floors are much less comfy.

Bassets love to be loved, but not many love being picked up. Holly is over 50 pounds, so I can't pick her up, but she has no qualms about pushing on me to let me know it's petting time.

Have basset, have cuddles, one way or another.
Pam, food & cuddle slave to the Dashing Bassets