[Dailydrool] bassets speaking ( not basset speak... there is a difference!)

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 8 17:12:07 PDT 2013

Ms.Brandy was deaf- really deaf, not just basset deaf. All her life -she never heard a sound was what the vet thought. We got her at 7 weeks old. ( this was almost 18 years ago..) She had a huge variety of sounds. WOOFS, whines, grumbles, HOWLS, yelling, yelling in that other word that starts with a B. She was not shy with her voice- nor quiet. She had something to say about everything.
Old man Elvis is a whiner and a groaner. Has it perfected to such an art that I threaten to snuffocate him daily. He can do just a breathy whine ( at 23 different volumes) and work it up to a sort of howl-whine. He will WOOF at something 20 minutes after it's gone. He has the 'thinnest' most ghouly and sad howl. But when he is really enjoying a rub down or petting- he sounds nearly obscene! He gets lots of extra lovings this way as everyone gets such a kick out of hearing it. And well- it is nice to know he appreciates it.
Peanut is my squeaky whiner. She softly squeaks when she would like me to get up. When she would like to eat. She has a very big deep woof. She howls like a fire siren- but only during her dreams. Peaches is much smaller and has an even bigger woof. But she hardly ever uses it. She has this adorable little grumble-growly-whine sound that she makes when she sees a squirrel and wants to go out after it. Or when she heard Daddy's truck and is waiting for him to come in. Peanut makes the same sort of sound- just in a different tone. They are littermate sisters. I have heard both howl only when with others who started it. Well except for Peanut who howls in her sleep- causing her sister to come running to check on her.
I am sure they could write a very long novel about the many sounds I make lol
droolies, Angelika